Do you want to turn your iPhone or Apple TV into a karaoke machine and sing along with your favorite tunes? Learn how to use Apple Music Sing here.
Apple Music has a collection of more than 100 million songs, many of which you just can’t help but sing along to. The trouble is that your vocals are always competing with the original singer—either a talented vocalist or someone using Autotune to pretend that they are.
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could turn down the vocalist so that you can sing along to your favorite songs on Apple Music without the original vocal track getting in the way?
Well, for specific songs on Apple Music, you can now do exactly that. Here’s how to use Apple Music Sing to create your own karaoke.
What is Apple Music Sing?
Apple Music Sing is a feature that is available on certain songs within the Apple Music catalog. If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can use this feature to create your own karaoke by lowering the level of the vocal track so that you can sing along with the backing music.
On compatible songs, you’ll see a volume slider on the lyrics page. You can use this slider to change the volume of the vocal track. You can choose to lower it a little, so you can still hear the singer but can also hear your own voice, or you can lower it all the way down, so that the singer’s voice is completely removed, just like with a traditional karaoke backing track.
Another feature similar to traditional karaoke is that the lyrics are highlighted as the song plays to show you which words you should be singing when. For duets, the different vocal parts are split to different sides of the screen.
What Devices Can You Use?
Currently, Apple Music Sing is limited to a few devices. If you’ve got one of these devices and you don’t see the Sing icon on any songs, you may need to update to the latest OS. The feature is also unavailable if you’re on the Apple Music Voice plan, even if you have a compatible device.
Devices that are currently compatible with Apple Music Sing are as follows:
- iPhone 11 or later, with iOS 16.2 or later
- iPad 3rd Gen or later, with iPadOS 16.2 or later
- Apple TV 4K (2022), with tvOS 16.2 or later
As yet, the feature isn’t supported on Mac.
How to Use Apple Music Sing
To start using this feature, all you need to do is access the lyrics for a compatible song. You can then set the vocal track volume to the level you want and sing away to your heart’s content.
To use Apple Music Sing:
- Open Apple Music on your compatible iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.
- Find the song that you want to sing along with and start it playing. See the section below for details on how to find compatible songs.
- Tap the currently playing song at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Lyrics icon (a quotation mark inside a speech bubble).
- If the song is compatible, you’ll see the Sing icon (a microphone with stars around it).
- Tap the Sing icon (or select it with your remote on Apple TV) and slide it up or down to set the required level.
- To completely remove the vocal track, slide it all the way to the bottom.
- If you want to be able to hear the vocal track to guide you, slide it to a position somewhere in the middle where you can still hear the vocals, but can also hear yourself singing over them.
- Sing along; the lyrics will be highlighted at the correct time to sing them.
- If the song is a duet, the lyrics for one part will appear on the right of the screen, and the lyrics for the other part will appear on the left.
- To turn the feature off, tap the screen to bring up the controls, then tap the Sing icon and the vocal track will return to its original level.
What Songs Are Available on Apple Music Sing?
Apple Music Sing is only available for a selection of songs within the Apple Music catalog.
If you don’t see the Sing icon on the lyrics page for a song, then this song isn’t compatible. There’s a dedicated section within the Apple Music app to help you find songs that are compatible.
To find songs that are compatible with Apple Music Sing:
- Open the Apple Music app.
- Tap Browse at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Apple Music Sing section.
- Tap one of the icons to go to the Made to Sing page.
- You can search through the categories on this page. Any result from this page will be compatible with Apple Music Sing.
- You can also access the same page through the search function by tapping the Search icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Type Apple Music Sing into the search field and press Search.
- Tap the Sing category.
- You’ll now be taken to the Made to Sing page.
Make the Most of Your Apple Music Subscription
Learning how to use Apple Music Sing allows you to turn selected songs into your own karaoke tracks. It’s a fun way to sing along with your favorite songs, either alone or with friends.
There’s a lot more to an Apple Music subscription than you might realize. For example, you also get access to the Apple Music Classical app, which is a great way to find and listen to your favorite classical works. If you can’t find the songs you want within Apple Music’s catalog, you can add your own music to Apple Music and access it on any of your devices.
For a truly stunning listening experience, you can take advantage of Apple Music’s spatial audio and lossless audio.