If you want to ensure your Reddit account is secure, you can add an extra layer of security by enabling two-factor authentication. Here’s how.
Two of the best ways to keep your online accounts secure are by using passkeys (where they’re available) and by enabling two-factor authentication (2FA). If you want to ensure your Reddit account is secure, you can use the latter.
When you enable 2FA on Reddit, you add a second layer of security to your account by requiring a verification code from an authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator in addition to your username and password.
Adding 2FA to your Reddit account is a straightforward process. To enable two-factor authentication on Reddit, follow the steps below.
How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication on Reddit
Currently, Reddit doesn’t offer the ability to enable 2FA from its mobile app. So, to allow the second layer of security to your Reddit account, you need to sign into Reddit from a desktop browser.
To enable 2FA on Reddit:
- Launch a browser on your computer, head to the Reddit website, and sign in if you’re not already.
- Click your profile icon in the top-right corner and select User Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Safety & Privacy tab at the top of the User Settings page.
- Scroll down to the Advanced security section and toggle on the Use two-factor authentication switch.
- Type in your Reddit account password and click the Confirm button.
- Launch the authenticator app you want to use, scan the QR code on the screen, and enter the six-digit code it generates.
- Click the Complete setup button.
- Once you authenticate successfully, click the OK button. Store a copy of the backup codes it provides in case you need to sign in and don’t have your phone available. You can use those codes to sign in securely.
- Click OK.
- The next time you sign into Reddit on the web, you’ll be prompted to enter the six-digit 2FA authentication code from the authenticator app you set up.
- You’ll also be required to enter the 2FA code the next time you sign into Reddit on your mobile device.
Keeping your Reddit Account Secure
You can enable two-factor authentication if you want to ensure your Reddit account is as secure as possible. It’s straightforward to turn on and provides an extra layer of account security using the steps above.
Another thing you might want to consider when thinking of Reddit security is deleting your Reddit history on mobile or from your browser. And if you want to get off the social platform, you can delete your Reddit account.
You should also enable 2FA on other social media sites where it’s available. For example, you can enable 2FA on Facebook or check out becoming a verified user to make 2FA on Instagram easier. If you want to learn how to add security to other services, check out our 2FA guide.